If apologising were an Olympic sport, Britain would get the gold medal. They would stand proudly on the podium as the Union Jack unfurled behind them. Then they would apologise. For real. There are so many ways to apologise here in the UK, here are a few ways they throw down apologies.
1. I am ever so sorry.
2. I am dreadfully sorry. Er…why ‘dreadfully?’ Sorry is enough.
3. I am frightfully sorry. See above.
4. Sorry mate. You say this if you from the South.
5. Sorry Chuck. You say this if you are from the North.
6. I beg your pardon.
7. I DO beg your pardon.
8. 1000 apologies.
10. Terribly sorry. See number 2.
So, there you have it. A nation of very polite and apologetic people. They are well and truly sorry for being sorry.