Hi Y’all, I promise to get back to my unofficial tour of GB but am having so much fun with words simply because words are fun. So, let’s get started…
1. Palava. This means a load of hassle. For example, ‘my train is delayed and I will miss my meeting and free breakfast. What a palava’.
2. Flannel. This means washcloth. So weird.
3. Cheeky. This is used by British people every hour of every day. It is a word used to describe someone who does something or says something sort of disrespectful and sometimes rude, but says it in a cunning way.
4. Rubbish. Not trash. Nope. But what you are saying is ‘rubbish’ which is trash. Are you with me? (or against me?).
5. And I have saved the best for last. Goolies. It is the British slang for testicles. Sorry Mom, I know you read this blog. But I am informing people.
Back to British geography next blog post. I promise.